See Related Topics

Drinking and Driving Offences

Many people charged with impaired driving assume that there is nothing to be done about their charge but to plead guilty and accept the consequences.

This is not true. Impaired driving is one of the most technical and highly litigated areas of criminal law.

Simply pleading guilty may be an option for you. But you should only do it if you are fully aware of all of your other options and your rights as a person charged with driving while impaired by alcohol, drugs or prescription medication.

Muenz Law Office has a record of success in impaired driving cases, including drug impairments. Our lawyer has a particular interest in these matters, having helped to found The Defence Impaired Driving Lawyers group.

When we go to trial, we go to win.

Knowing Your Choices

Many people want to get back on the road as soon as possible, especially if their job involves driving. If you are charged, you have several options, including:

  • Interlock: If you plead guilty, you will be able to go back to driving more quickly as long as you install a device in your car that prevents you from driving your car while intoxicated. Unfortunately, your driving and criminal records will be affected, your insurance rates may rise, and the Interlock program is not cheap.
  • Fighting the arrest: The police have to follow procedure when stopping, arresting or charging you. If they make any mistakes, or disregard your rights, any evidence against you can't be used.
  • Fighting the evidence: The Breathalyzer used, or the training of the person who used it may be brought into question. Eyewitness evidence, including evidence from police, may also be challenged, especially if you were in an accident and may have been disoriented due to the crash and not drugs or alcohol.

Pleading guilty should never be the default, particularly if your charge is part of an accident that resulted in severe bodily harm or fatalities.

Before you make any decisions, talk to us. Let us help you decide your best course of action.

Contact Muenz Law Office

If you have been charged with impaired driving (also called DUI) in Calgary or surrounding areas, call our law firm at 403-543-6666 or fill out our online form.